Get the most out of your workouts and stay fit with these great tips for recovery after summer work outs
We’ve all been there – summer is here and it is tempting to get our winter selves into our summer skin. Moderate and steady is a great place to start. Working out all year round is another good foundation of healthy living. Regardless of whether you enjoy working out as a summer warrior or year-round, summer offers special challenges that can challenge even the most seasoned athlete. These tips will help your recovery after summer workouts to help you get the most out of your workouts and stay fit all year round:
Top Ten Tips for Recovery After Summer Workouts
1. Stay Hydrated: Drink 60-80 ounces of water even on a regular day when you aren’t exercising. Weigh yourself before and after a workout and replace 16 ounces of water for each pound lost to make up for that water loss.
2. Replace Electrolytes: You must replace electrolytes after a harder, hotter work-out. Choose an electrolyte mix without sugar or fructose, and one with lots of electrolytes, sodium, and zinc like Thorne Catalyte (use code HCP1111696) or Designs for Health Electrolyte Synergy.
3. Replace Magnesium! Stress, physical activity, sweating all make magnesium the #1 depleted mineral. Magnesium improves muscle function and is part of your body producing energy. Magnesium Glycinate nightly may help replenish the vital magnesium you need.
4. Eat Protein: Eat 20-30 grams of protein within thirty minutes of exercise: Immediately post-exericse eat protein. Try whey or egg protein shake, nuts and seeds, almond butter and apple, or beef jerky> Mix it up and develop your own combinations. Your body needs protein right after a workout.
5. Stress Reducing Activity: The day after a hard workout, pick a stress reducing activity like yoga, meditation or gentle walking.
6. Vitamin C: Take Vitamin C to reduce the stress on your body that occurs during a workout. Think of Vitamin C as an insurance policy to prevent damage.
7. Reduce Muscle Tension: Use a foam roller or get a massage after a workout to reduce tension on muscles and aid recovery.
8. Meditation: Try a 5 minute guided meditation app daily like calm.com. By lowering internal stress, you’ll be ready for a harder workout the next day.
9. Probiotics: Take a professional grade probiotic daily to help keep good bacteria around. Heavy exercise changes the balance of bacteria in the gut. There are strains of probiotics that may help to improve athletic performance. For information about these and other products mentioned in this article contact Dr. Kaufman or visit the Kaufman Health and Hormone Center shop online or in-office.
10. Sleep: Plan to get 8 hours per night for ideal recovery. Your body produces growth hormone at night and when laying flat which is how your body repairs! Dr. Kaufman shares tips for getting a good night’s sleep in this video.
Want to know more?
If you would like to know more about how to improve your recovery after summer workouts or want to learn more about optimizing your health contact Dr. Kaufman and schedule a consultation.